Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Sad Oversight

It was brought to my attention the other day that I have allowed a terrible lapse to occur.  I am going to attempt to rectify this horrible mistake.

A few months ago (well...it might have been more than a few months ago...probably since about August?) I had the house to myself for a few days, and I was telling my friends about it.  One such friend (You all know her as B.A. Matthews) suggested that they come over for a party.  I couldn't because I had to work the next day, and told them about how I would be kicking them out after only a couple of hours.


Though we discussed still getting together to do some writing, in the end we decided to instead have our party on twitter.  It was going to be a friday night, so originally we were just going to hash tag it Friday Night Party.

When it came down to it though, the hash tag ended up being #FNTWP.  Friday Night Twitter Writing Party.  And it was awesome.  It also attracted far more people than I had thought it would.

After a night full of great conversation with other writers, insight into what others were doing, and even my own work, and actually getting some writing done, one of the final comments was 'see you next Friday.'

Of course, we had never planned for this hashtag to end up being something we did every single week.  We were just going for one good night to get together while still being able to do all of the stuff we needed to do at home.  We did, though.  We started putting it on every single week.  Even during nano, those five hours every Friday night served as a time when we could talk to fellow writers.  Relieve the stress of whatever was going on with our lives.  Work on whatever we were working on at that moment.

It was fantastic.

To this day we still run #FNTWP on  Friday nights.  We aren't always both there.  Sometimes I work late, so I don't get on until about nine, but someone is usually there.  If not, if you hang out long enough, eventually someone will get on.

I would encourage any writer to join in the conversation.  We have a great time, and I never go away without feeling like I got something out of it, even on the nights when I don't actually get anything done.  I love it, and I feel like everyone should get a chance to experience it.

Anyway, if you can't tell, I love #FNTWP.  If you want to see what it's all about, drop by any Friday night between seven pm and midnight (mountain time).  We'd love to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment