Monday, November 5, 2012

Celebration!! (Day 5)

Yesterday I hit my 50k for the month.

Yep, I just came right out and said it. For one thing, I've already had people wondering why I wasn't shouting it to the rafters yesterday (which is because I write my blog posts in advance, so I didn't know if I was going to hit it or not. So rather than taking the time to write a brand new blog pot, I decided to just save it for today). For another thing, today is the write in, which means that all of my excitement will most likely kick in today.

You see, here in Calgary we have a tradition. Technically it was stolen from the night of writing dangerously, but we're awesome enough that it's ours now. When you hit 50k, you get to ring a bell!

Ours isn't quite as awesome as OLL's, but it is a cowbell, which is it's own kind of awesome.

Anyway, when you hit your 50k, the next time you go to a write in, you ring that bell for all it's worth, and you get people clapping and cheering for you. It's great!

Generally I'm the first one to ring the bell. I'm not being all self involved, I really am. I just happen to write quickly. 50K is never my goal for nano, but because it is the milestone that every nanoer goes for, I like to celebrate it.

This year I finished earlier, even than last year, when I finished on the 5th. I was pretty happy to cross that line, and I definitely shared the excitement with the my fellow wrimotaurs who were in chat with me, but it never feels like I've hit that mark until I get to ring the bell.

I can't wait. It's just one of those nano traditions that it just wouldn't feel like nano without it. Too bad I'm too impatient to wait for the 50k until the 18th, or I could have rung the bell at the night of writing dangerously.

What do you do to celebrate crossing that finish line?

*  *  *
Daily Word Count: 4,870
Total Word Count: 55,013


No comments:

Post a Comment