Wednesday, November 14, 2012

One More Day (Day 14)

Today at 6:15 marks the day of my freedom. For a couple of weeks, anyway.

As of closing today, I am on vacation. Set to be off until December 3rd, and so happy I'm practically dancing. Of course, I'm at work, so the whole watching of the clock is really not helping with making the time go by faster, but I can't help it. Every minute that ticks by is one minute closer to a vacation I've been looking forward to all year, and I just can't wait!

I'll get to pretend like I'm a real professional writer that gets paid to do what I love. I'll get to go down toe San Francisco and hang out with 250 other writers who also do NaNo and get a bunch of writing down with them (as well as take part in the world famous Candy Bar!). For two whole weeks I'm going to be away from the day job and doing everything I love to do.

Of course, coming back on the third isn't going to be nearly as much fun, but I think I can handle that. I just have to remind myself that this isn't what I'm going to be doing the rest of my life. That I'm going to have a novel ready to query by January (yes, I know you've all heard this before, but the truth of the matter is, I can't afford to wait any longer. I'm tired of helping customers for 8 hours a day when all I want to be doing is writing, or editing, or anything related to the creative process.)

So, while I just didn't have time to get my third draft of Pandora done before nano started, I will be picking up where I left off December 1st, and I will be getting that novel out to beta readers BEFORE CHRISTMAS in the hopes of getting it back by early January.

This vacation is going to remind me of what I want to do with my life. It's going to show me how much I could be getting done with my time (if I can write 300k words in November while working a full time job, what could I do with that 8 hours to spend on my writing?) It's going to show me that life will get better, all I have to do is not give up. And I won't be giving up any time soon.

Alright, it's time to head back to work after my break, but in only 4 hours and 45 minutes I will be walking out of this building for the last time this month (okay, I might come back for my paycheck, but close enough).

What are your goals as a writer? Do you have a day job?

*  *  *
Daily Word Count: 2334
Total Word Count: 117,589

No comments:

Post a Comment