Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Time to Play a Little Catch Up

So today I got to play a little catch up. Before any of you say anything, yes I am aware that I hit the 50k last week, but I can promise you that I still have a long way to go to hit my goal. And, I realize that I put myself in this position, but I'm just saying, the higher your goal, the easier it is to fall behind. And the harder it is to catch up.

Today I ended up writing 15k (something I hadn't wanted to do, since when I did that the first day, my wrists were killing afterward) and, yes I did get caught up. But I also had to spend the entire writing. As much as I love writing, I also happen to enjoy my days off, so I had been hoping to be caught up before today.

So, now I'm caught up to my goal, and tomorrow I get to go back to work.

Now, I'm not saying that I don't like my job. I do. It's probably one of the best jobs I've ever held. It has it's downfalls, for one it's customer service, and we all know that not all customers are actually all that smart. But for the most part, I enjoy going to work. I love the people I work with, and it's definitely a step up from my last job.

The problem is, now that I've caught up, I'm looking at tomorrow and wondering, am I going to get everything done tomorrow? Or is it going to be another day where I end up just a few words shy of my goal. A few words that I can't quite make up the next day and end up getting further away from my goal. And on my next day off is it going to be another day of trying to get my word count back up to were it's supposed to be?

And then all those other things I want to do, like maybe keep up with at least a couple of shows during November, or finishing the plot for my third novel, which I may in fact need before the month is up, or maybe, just maybe, getting to sit down and read a book that someone else wrote. Am I going to be able to do any of that? Because if I fall behind again, it's doubtful.

So right about now, even after the successful day I had, all I can think about is whether or not I really should have decided to up my goal to 10k a day (effectively 300k) rather than the 200 I had originally settle on. Is this going to be worth it in the end, or am I just going to have crap sitting in front of me and two wrists that refuse to stop hurting?

This is, I suppose, my version of the second week slump. Many people start to taper off right around now. The high of starting the month begins to wear off, and life begins to intrude, and they start to wonder what exactly did they sign up for.

What did I sign up for? And why was I so crazy as to think I could do it?

With a renewed hope to hit my goal, and two tired wrists, I've decided that I'm going to do it if it kills me. Because when I'm done writing this month, and I get my novels printed out, I know that I'm going to look at them and think that this was something I will never regret. Three finished novels. In one month. Not many people can claim that. That makes it worth it. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment