Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Can I Stop Now? (Day 27)

The end of nano is fast approaching, and I'm finding myself wondering more and more if I'm going to be able to keep up the pace I've been setting for myself, even if it is just for 3 more days.

You see, I set a goal for myself of 300k words.  If I want to actually hit that goal then I have to actually write about 16k every single day.  Of course, I'm not sure that my novel is going to last that long (It's looking more like it's going to hit closer to 85k or maybe 90k....another short one) but I can always write a few short stories to make up for the words.

Unfortunately, by the time that I get that high up in a word count, my motivation to continue just kind of falls through the roof.  Suddenly every single word war I partake in seems that much harder.  The words stop coming so easily, and even though I have 15k behind me, those last 1.5k just seem like the hardest thing in the world.  And all I want to do is stop.

So what keeps me going?

I used to say that my motivation was solely competition, but I"m honestly not so sure about that anymore.  While I did need the competition to keep me going earlier in the month, now I find that I'm more likely to finish my daily goals if I promise myself that I'm going to hit a certain word count before I go to bed.

I'm not sure why my motivations changed, but it's working for me so far.  So long as that word count number keeps rising, and I keep finishing the day with the word count that I want, I suppose I should be happy that I found something that worked.

Here's hoping that it sticks with me after nano.

Signing off to do some much deserved procrastination.  Happy writing!

*  *  *

Daily Word Count: 26,226
Total Word Count: 255,095

No comments:

Post a Comment