Sunday, February 3, 2013

This Feels Familiar

Today I get to do the very thing I've been so happy to not do so far this year: I get to tell you that I'm falling behind on my goals.

Yep.  You read that correctly, I'm finally falling behind.

January set me up to think that this year was going to be different.  That I was going to get through all of my goals, and I was going to be amazed at how productive I was.  Turns out, though, that I'm still quite capable of not finishing.  Of procrastinating for hours until I realize that I no longer have time to finish everything I need to get finished.

I'm not being down on myself, despite the slightly depressed tone of this post.  No, I happen to know that falling behind on goals is something that everyone does, and I know that I can turn it around if I just put my mind to it.

I also know that today isn't the day that's going to happen.

Today I have plans.  Ones that will eat up most of the hours of the day, and I only have another two hours to get as much as I possibly can done before I have to take off.  Two hours in which I have to shower, get ready to go, finish my laundry, and make my lunch for tomorrow.

Needless to say, I'm not anticipating getting much done today.  It's a depressing thought, seeing as how I'm so far behind.

Thankfully, I know that I have Tuesday off.  And I don't have any plans at night (and will not be making any) so I'm planning on getting completely caught up that day.

So, what do I have to do in order to get caught up on those goals?  Let me show you:

1) Complete 5 Epiphanies (writing exercises)
2) Edit the short story I wrote for Pen Duels
3) Write 13,000 words of Malice
4) Do two critiques

Those are my goals for the end of day Tuesday.  I have plans tomorrow too, so I'm going to have to work all day Tuesday in order to get caught up.

I think I can do it, I just need to stay focused.  Which has not traditionally been my strong suit.  But I did it last month, and I'm going to do it this month too.  I just have to keep moving forward.  Don't look back.  Don't question.  Just do it.

And don't think about all the things I have to do the rest of the year, or I start to feel overwhelmed.

What do you do when you find yourself falling behind?  How do you keep yourself on track?

No comments:

Post a Comment