Thursday, November 22, 2012

Scared of the Dark (Day 22)

When I was planning Betraying Eden, I started to realize that this movie was a heck of a lot darker than I originally thought.  Of course, when I originally came up with the idea, for some reason it presented itself as a YA in my brain.  But the further in to the book it went, the more I realized that it wasn't a YA.

Anyway, the point of the matter, is that the book went from YA to way too dark for a YA.  So I switched it to an adult.

Then I realized that, not only was it too dark for a YA, I was actually torturing my characters far more than I usually do.  Like, this was shaping up to be a book where my characters might actually come to hate me, rather than just getting stronger from their experiences.

By the time I was done planning, I was feeling sorry for my characters, and promising them that there was absolutely no way that it could possibly get any worse than it already was.

Who would have thought that it would.  I didn't, that's for sure.  Now, you might be laughing thinking 'how could you possibly not know that was going to happen' but I really didn't know.

I took the darkness and I seemed to double it.  Even I feel like it went a little overboard, and I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable.

So right now I can't decide if it's too dark, and I need to take most of it out, or if it's the right amount of darkness, I just don't like what I came up with.

I'm going to have to wait and see what I think about it during editing.  Though I've got a feeling that it's going to end up being highly rewritten.  But there's no way to know until it actually happens, right?

So I guess I'll go back to writing it.  At least I'm past the dark part and can finish off this novel and move on to the next.  It's going to end up a lot shorter than I originally planned.  Again...I don't know what I'm going to do to make up the words...maybe I'll try to make the next book longer.

We'll see.  Either way, this month is going to end up as productive as I was hoping, I just have to keep writing!

*  *  *

Daily Word Count: 13,487
Total Word Count: 174,726

No comments:

Post a Comment