Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Office of Letters and Light (Day 20)

So, as you all know, I'm far far behind on my goals.  It's horrible, and it kind of sucks, but I've found my motivation, and even wrote my goal of 17k today.

But that is not what I want to talk to you about today.  I know, I know.  I wrote 17k today, and I don't want to talk about it?  After such a long dry spell of getting nowhere near my daily goals?  It's craziness!

Of course, I'm a writer, so craziness is what I do.

Anyway, the think I want to talk to you about is the Office of Letters and Light.  I've talked to you about them before, but I definitely need to touch on them again today.

On Sunday I went to the Night of Writing Dangerously, and there I got to meet some of the people who work at OLL.  And we got invited out to go visit the office while we were here in San Francisco, so today was the day that we went out there.

The office is small, but it's filled to the roof (and probably more...I'm pretty sure it's leaking out on the other businesses around them, including the bakery that's right next door) with awesomeness.

They have a conference room where the board gets together.  And each board member has a viking helmet with their name on it.

They have so many ideas for next year and nano.  Ideas that have inspired all of us to want to do more for the corporation.  I want to see this organization grow and bloom and touch even more people because they have done so much for all of the people that have participated in any of OLL's programs.

I'm planning on donating even more than I already have.  But more than that, if I have the opportunity, I will volunteer my time.  They have changed my life so much, I can't help but want to give back.

I'm glad I got to go visit their office.  I feel inspired.  I feel, now more than every, that this is what I want to do with my life.  Not just write, but help reach out to other writers.

If you have the chance, please donate to OLL.  They do so much for so many people out there.  And what they do is so important.

*  *  *

Daily Word Count: 17,704
Total Word Count: 161,239

No comments:

Post a Comment